Thursday 9 February 2017

OUGD503- Finding Collaborative Partners

After not finding collaborators at the first mixer, I narrowed my searches and recreated my Pitcha Pitcha boards to determine exactly what it was I wanted to achieve.

I want to:

Push my work to a higher technical level
Work 3 Dimensionally as well as on screen
Develop a strong backstory and concept, to richly inform the product
Get some sort of commendation and push for a feature on Its Nice That.

After researching previous winners of D&AD Briefs, the simpler the better. A transferable concept over multiple platforms, simple in communication and infitting to the brand.

I am choosing to collaborate with Anna Farmer, Rob Harper and Sam Hughes on the D&AD Monotype brief, despite all being from Graphic Design, as we all have different skills to bring to the table. Furthermore, after decoding the brief, it was evident a graphic design skill set would be more preferable than that of an illustrators or animators, although moving image is a deliverable for this brief.

When considering our strengths, I classed mine to be in concept development, research and justification of design decisions. I also want to push my practice forwards towards a tangibly based skill set. Recently I have had inductions into woodwork, as well as completing a jewellery course and getting to grips with the basics of metal work. Furthermore, I have always been interested in the practice of narrative within design, especially when fashion and editorial is concerned. The benefits of monotype for me as a practitioner, is that typography is a fundamental communication method in the primary consumption line. As well as this, typographers such as Erik Spiekermann and typographic antagonists such as David Carson have proved a huge inspiration to me, yet until now I have never had the opportunity to pursue it.

Anna has a hand rendered, DIY spin to her work, strongly influenced by the Punk movement and the involvement of subcultures within her work and concepts. Her skills are based around illustration, playing on the tactility she finds from research.

Rob has strong photographic skills, as well as being really profiencient at the creative cloud and coming up with ideas. He also said he knew how to animate on after effects and wanted to pursue a design for screen route, which ties in perfectly as Monotype require a poster, at least one digital element and at least 'one other touch point'.

Sam is also really strong using digital tech, with his personal interests involving music, branding and promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment