Friday 29 April 2016

OUGD406// Speaking From Experience 02

Initial digital mock ups //

Experimenting with typographic posters in a modernist design styles. After presenting my current idea's to a small critique group they told me to be "abstract and funky", as thats the best way to engage with the target audience of 1st year Art Students.



As first year does not have the stress of dissertations, there is a very strong relaxation in the air that 'first year doesn't count'. Despite this being true from a grading perspective, first year is a huge stepping stone onto 2nd year study and can have a negative impact if work standards are not met.

When asking peers about this idea they were in support of the chosen idea, yet conscious that this could come off negatively in some peoples eyes, especially if I was giving the impression that "first year doesn't count" entirely. Taking this on board, I feel by addressing a calming nature through the use of illustration and even advice, this would be more useful for the viewer. This could also be conducted through production methods, perhaps printing onto a pastel or textured stock.







Final outcomes //

Printed on G F Smith 'Softy', I wanted to incorporate the fun texture and advice in a calming manor. Incorporating the quote 'Stroke the furry wall' from hit film 'Get him to the greek', I feel this 
inter-conxtual link adds a humorous tone applicable for the target audience whilst the calming colours are popular within design trends at the minuet. People just arriving at art school are here because they have been influenced by design, generally the most popular design. In the hope of making a 'trendy' flyer, this may fulfil my personal intentions of it being stuck on bedroom walls and not just thrown away. Despite both quotations printed on 'Softy', I feel the most appropriate is the 'No Life, No Design' as it does not convey too much of a strong message that 'first year doesn't count'. The print finish cropped off the P from 'Pre-Book...', also making this outcome unfit for purpose. Composition is  something I was concerned about, not sticking to a flush left modernist approach may make the flyer more inviting and less like "advice", again copying to my intentions. Unfortunately not enough time was spent on this brief due to correlating deadlines and practical work, resulting in prioritising in the wrong places through time management. If I could re-do this brief I would stick with a A5/A4 flyer as I feel this is the most appropriate way to stay in someones environment, yet may extend the series to better advice or even exploring some of my initial ideas. Overall I am fairly happy with the outcome but feel it could have been a lot stronger if more attention could have been paid.


No comments:

Post a Comment