Sunday 12 March 2017

OUGD503: Ibis Hotel Development

Research into places in Leeds:

When tourists/people staying in hotels come to Leeds, they often google 'things to do in..' as a starting point for their research into their potential visit (if recreational). 


This is their immediate option

The choice was endless when you really start to consider what is out there. I got all my ideas down onto paper and targeted the areas I most wanted to explore.

<mindmap>


  • Explore the Leeds area as well as the Yorkshire dales



The 'Yorkshire' stereotype is rural, tranquil country side- quite 'old world-y''  to an extent, so I want that to be reflected through the design. Initial map sketches to be incorporated as a border or lucid figure somehow?




I went on to explore places around Leeds I knew were culturally conscious and interesting places to go, offering something for everyone. I wanted to keep it from my perspective as the brief asks- so quite young and fun.

I started off just hand drawing some sketches of the key places, recreated and bits added from memory. I did both Belgrave, Roxy Ping-Pong and Corn Exchange in this style before I realised it just wasn't going to be redeemable on photoshop. 

In total I plan to create illustrations of 

- Belgrave Music Hall & Canteen
- Roxy Ping-Pong bar (could extend to Roxy bowling?)
- Call Lane social and Tiki Bar!
- The Corn Exchange
- Hyde Park Picture house (not too far away from the city and worth the visit)






At this stage I felt turning to the computer and creating a digital design would be a much better way at creating a detailed drawing scalable for such a big wall. Despite this, I still wanted to give a character to the designs rather them being flat line vectors, so decided to leave out elements to hand draw in. 








I need to consider how the composition will work with multiple designs 

Hand rendered typography to be incorporated with the design? 

Very fluid, soft stroke hand lettering, suggesting very playful connotations and referencing memo notes- quick little things you must remember to do.







No comments:

Post a Comment