Monday 10 April 2017

OUGD505: Traditional Printing

After finalising my A3 Poster design, the detail and consistency that needs to be replicated were most suitable for screen print. I decided to expose the outline, rather than individual colour blocks. This gives me the opportunity to experiment with backgrounds/ colour blocking with mono print and Lino methods, overlaying the screen on top. I feel the incorporation of mono print is somewhat essential to link to the concept.(?)

As deadline work is quite tight at the moment with lots due in for the 24th April, I wanted to get the print done within good time, so made sure I was alert to my time planning. The screen exposure process was relatively simple, once I figured out the correct steps with the UV Emulsion and how the process worked.

As exposing the screen took quite a while due to learning errors, I started simple with one colour prints to see what ideas I could generate for backgrounds or alternate colour combinations. With this, I plan to develop a colour pallet as a guide to work to representing the Bowie iconography, as well as retro lively atmosphere of the event. The composition has lots of potential to insert colour, so I want to utilise this tastefully and effectively. 

I had previously created a few quick mono prints to test the effect. Colour colour also be implemented by one flat roller colour- glitter/neon/UV printing inks can allow depth and tone with colour, an appealing quality over digital print. 


Initially cleaning the screen to reveal the design.










I am quite happy with how the initial test prints came out. After learning more about the process and equipment I discovered the prints were moving (and unalligning) because the vacuum was not on the vacuum bed. This is something I now know and will hopefully improve the quality and accuracy of prints in the future.

I also plan to investigate stock options further; I have currently printed a silver, black, red and white onto bright white card, off-white watercolour paper, newsprint and black card. The white/silver on black was highly striking- implementing some red and blue may be an idea?

The ease of screen printing (once the screen was coated/exposed) was quite easy, but I need to remember to maintain a clear pressure on the screen as I am printing- and perhaps add more ink for a bolder design. It is clear why people use this form of traditional print as the versatility and possibilities available with it are inventive and accessible, printing in mass scale on fabric, stock, packaging etc. 

Colour Palette 


No comments:

Post a Comment