Thursday 18 February 2016

OUDG406// Album Art - Research

Exploring a range of album covers from both known and unknown artists. I aim to consider colour in relation to tone and purpose, as my initial ideas are predominantly black and white.


Jack Johnson uses a duotone pallet to emphasise mood and possibly minimise production costs. The tonal photograph overlaid highlights the background in a simple but effective manor, a technique I will definitely consider when I come to produce my own. In contrast, the Alt-J covers on the right oozes colour and fluid waves, possibly reflecting to the beat/waves within each track. The presentation method of the vinyl half out is also a really effective touch when it comes to presenting future work.

On the theme of exploring colour, Vampire Weekend's use of toned photography brings a deeper depth in colour in a more organic way. This style reminds me of analogue processes and lomography as a whole. I always assumed texture is a hard aspect to convey through album covers, yet this photographic style with the shadows onto textured paper fully breaks the boundaries of what I considered a stereotypical album cover. Furthermore, the central composition in both is a effect I feel works really well for the minimal style of each sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment