Tuesday 27 October 2015

OUGD404 // Colour Relativity

In todays workshop on Colour Theory, we have investigated further how the contrast and positioning of a colour impacts on how we perceive it. With this in mind, we had to choose our least favourite colour and create a complementing swatch, appropriate for a children's book, in addition with black.

My least favourite is brown. Not only does it remind me of gross bodily functions, I also feel it has been over-used to death in suburban living rooms throughout my entire life...


As a response to this project I have chosen a mid brown which has connotations of milk chocolate and dessert indulgence. Pantone 8585C (from the Metallic Spectrum) has been chosen to replicate a river of chocolate with a shimmery tone once printed- identifiable for the younger child audience my book would target. As a complementary colour I chose a very pale, almost nude pink (Pantone 4755 U). As this will look more matte when printed, this can be used for the characters skin within the book; also, as highlights of bubbles within the chocolate river to provide the needed contrast within a graphical work of fiction. I feel the pink has friendlier connotations as apposed to the black it is next to, whilst complementing both in a lighter way. Furthermore, the pinky aspect reminds me (and some peers asked) of strawberry- making the chocolate river even more flavoursome.




No comments:

Post a Comment