Wednesday 21 October 2015

OUGD403// Studio Brief 01- Logotype (02)

I feel the best (and most overlooked) aspect of Officers Club is their military clothing routes- highlighted by the fact they still offer military discounts. With this in mind, I want to play on this aspect and put a spin from the name of "officers club", rerouting it to its roots. I started by researching Army/ Navy/ RAF posters and type styles, both past and present. It is very clear that all three favour a masculine block san-serif typeface.



 

I have started to create a range of sketches going off this military inspired idea, incorporating not just typography- but shields/ symbols/ flags and aged aspects. Even though I cannot include this in my final piece of Logotype, I want to grasp a proper concept before finalising any purely typographic ideas.



These are the first sketches I created, just really trying to brainstorm visual ideas and experimenting with what worked/ what didn't work. I feel the circular compositions are the strongest due to the army-stamp like connotations and that they're inspired form the circular military shields and symbols. I also feel the flow of the italic hand rendered style is ascetically pleasing, however it is not fully suitable due to the skinny lines being slightly feminine and not following the army traditions.





I started to develop my favourite, inspired by the typeface form the above "Trust me, I have a beard" piece sourced from Pinterest (link at bottom of page). I feel the oldy-worldy qualities are relevant to the companies army heritage, whilst being quite trendy and modern within young male culture referencing the 'hipster' graphic design style of Barber shop signs by incorporating a Serif style. The use of a serif also complies to my earlier intentions of trying to bring the brand a little more 'up market', with the connotations of Serif being related to higher quality shops, such as Charles Tyrwhitt. With regards to the sketch I should have used a more precise way of creating a grid. I initially sketched out lines for the letters to sit onto, but not a top Cap Height line, thus making some letters (particularly towards the right) the incorrect height. I am happy with the overall design as a starting point for computer aided development- especially incorporating the year of establishment and birth town.


Research Links //

Military Symbols
Army officer - Symbols
Army Poster (Tight Kerning)
Army Typeface 2015
Army Advertisement
Barber Graphics Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment