Friday 16 October 2015

OUGD403 // Study Task - Symbol

This brief looks at designing a range of stand alone symbols for Yorkshire Sculpture Park, acting as a secondary/ complimentary brand mark. Before setting out to design a symbol I looked at 'Symbol' , a book by Angus Hyland 2014 for inspiration. After looking at them all in detail, what really stood out to me was the use of bold lines and negative space. The work for the London Underground has always been one of my favourite symbols, so with this in mind I decided before attempting to design a symbol, looking at the possible ways of manipulating negative space would be the most effective way to go.
My intention is to naturally create a lasting symbol, but also a range of experiments appropriate to the park in numerous ways. In the book 'Symbol', the majority seem to be in black and white only. I am a fan of black and white, but my gut instinct is telling me that pursuing colour options will be more beneficial due to the nature of the establishment. Looking back at the London Underground, it is instantly recognisable in block colour as well as a range of colours differing from the iconic red and blue. 
Before I start designing, I also want to have a look at the current identity of YSP to see if I can take any of their good traits over to the new secondary signifier (as stated in Viarelli Canon- "There [is] no reason to dispose of logos that have seventy years of exposure, and [are] rooted in peoples consciousness with a set of respectable connotations."). 
Unfortunately, the week of this brief I was aboard so was unable to physically get to Yorkshire Sculpture park like my peers, instead I studied second hand images of the work, both from sites like Instagram that other people have recently taken, and their own website. Fortunately, I went earlier this summer and could back at my own images of the Henry Moore works which never change.






Research into current Sculpture Park symbols and logo design. Mainly typographic which is what I want to avoid. If I am to include type, I feel either a crisp digital font such as Helvetica would be appropriate to denote the modernist qualities of the establishment. Whilst on the other hand, Broomhill use a soft, hand written typeface which gives off a friendlier organic vibe.

 Exploring the use of geometric lines within objects found from nature. I chose a leaf as it is already well associated with parks, whilst the use of formal elements are also related to sculptural forms.

Exploring opacity to see if a reduction in strength will connote a softer tone. I feel that it does, yet from a distance or on busy publications may be unseen due to its paler nature.

Experimenting with scanning/ Photoshop manipulation using the Multiply tool. Here dual opacity is suggesting two levels- one being the vast sculptures on offer, and the other the quaint indoor museum. Again, the shape of the leaf reflects the nature setting, contrasting with the geometric use of line inspired by the exhibitions created out of wire.

Digitally rendered colour version of the leaf design, suggesting modernity mixed with nature routes. The colour combination relates to the rural environment of YSP, whilst the depths of greens provide contrast- highlighting the values and range within the sculpture work.



Inspired by the combination of solid Henry Moore work, and the chicken wire Rabbit. Individual body parts (Head and Arms) have been removed and reworked into a unusual composition. The cross over relates to the values unconventional artwork showcased, and values of bringing sculpture work to the masses by the Henry Moore part being placed on a chicken wire box- highlighting history and integrity.

Related to the Tree of Chairs exhibition in a subtle way. I intended to strip the formation down to simple lines and add bold  shapes onto the end to resemble leaves. Not only does this resemble a exhibition, but also physical tree's and nature- a key part of the park. Furthermore, this is still very simple which is my intention within this brief.
** Note // I have purposely not included 'YSP' as I want the symbol to stand alone without a direct 'in your face' correlation to the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment