Monday 16 January 2017

OUGD504: Design for Screen Evaluation

I do not feel I have fully achieved my potential for this brief, due to the time restrictions I placed upon myself by poor time management. When I started getting into designing the initial browser and icons, I had a real drive to research more into the field, helped by the CSS book as my guide. As this is the only module for exclusive screen-based design, I feel this brief has given me the right insight into what to do, and the design process to follow.

The overall outcome is nowhere near as successful as it could of been. The design quality and finish does not accurately represent ‘speed’, nor does it have the professional finish I was striving for. The colour considerations have not been implemented as well as they could have been, with ‘Green for Go’ and ‘Grey for Quality’ being the suggestive undertone, this has not been transpired to the final outcome, which is definitely something I would alter in the future. The menu has not been executed to fulfil the idea of quick, on-the-go browsing. This design could have been altered functionally and aesthetically to further meet the needs of the user, rather than the target audience as a whole. 

Looking back, I placed quantity over quality, where really I should of focused on making the browser optimised for mobile use, rather than trying to make the same basic design stretch over two platforms. I took this route for the brief (despite being pushed for time), as I wanted to challenge myself and gain a broader understanding of designing for screen as well as feedback prompting the brief in that direction. Online research was quite conflicting, so the UX & CSS Book proved useful once again in affirming actual pixel sizes.

Animation is definitely not my strength, so for time reasons I prioritised a fully working prototype over the finishing touches and video quality. I found using After Effects an interesting experience due to its vast potential, if I had budgeted time more effectively this is definitely a production method I would of explored, especially to get the quality details of moving type (as if the user was filling in the Filters), as well as it being shown on a Smartphone. 

The transitions between each page are meant to be effortless and progressive, always either a subtle push left (for backwards progression) or push right (for forwards progression). By incorporating subtle touches to transitions, the user experience makes them feel like they are getting somewhere in their hunt for a home. Never the less, the transitions need to be sharp and speedy, so not to hinder the pace of viewing and further push the idea of ‘fast’. 


When creating a prototype of the browser, it was a lot of trail and error after following the Adobe XD Tutorial. I have never tried doing anything like this before, so it was hard to get my head around where everything connected to- and to make sure the menu was fully functional on all pages. I struggled remembering to double end connect some pages, as well as incorporating an animated visual for going backwards with the swipe motion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment