Wednesday 8 November 2017

OUGD603: Just Chill - Cover/Photobook Research

Time of Nothing - Jim Mangan



 







"Photographer Jim Mangan zeroes in on the American Southwest with Time of Nothing, a book of aerial shots taken near the Great Salt Lake. One turn of the page, and it becomes clear the desert is anything but desolate. Mangan captures the landscapes in their pink and purple painted hues, complemented by rich textures sculpted from bodies of water. What ensues is a series of abstract photos that serve as a necessary reminder of nature’s faculties. Silent Sound publishes the book as a cloth-hardback, and edition of 600."  https://www.printedmatter.org/catalog/45733/





In feedback discussing the brief, my peers and tutors said for me to use my Thailand images, due to their high quality execution and dreamy tones. By shooting on a mixture of 35mm and medium format, I was able to scan in the images at an extremely high resolution for the larger scale prints. I want to investigate possible similar books and see how they were designed - these were the best 2 I found. Tranquility is captured in the beach shot, never the less they both look quite unengaging; however I think that this is down to the typography rather than the use of images.


No comments:

Post a Comment