Tuesday 25 October 2016

OUGD504- Bookbinding Experimentation



Prior to committing to a cover theme or design, I wanted to experiment with binding methods to see if this
could help inform the decision.

Perfect binding was the least successful out of the three. No matter how many attempts I tried, the finish
was always sloppy and not up the the standard I want to achieve from the publication. I learn't that the
best way to keep the pages together was by incorporating a mesh. Sadly, I could not get hold of
bookbinding mesh but experimented with thin pieces of paper- hoping to act in the same way and trap the
glue together. Despite this outcome not working as well as I would of liked, I had never tried perfect
binding before so this is all a learning curve. I will persist and try and make it up to the sleek standard of
the others.


Exposed Binding:

Taking on feedback from Luke, I wanted to see how exposed binding could work as a design feature and
element to highlight from the black. I found some of these bolts which are generally used for plumbing
and mechanics, whilst looking for motoring claps I could bend or alter in metalwork to create a unique,
Harley relevant way of binding. Sadly I couldn't find anything to fit that requirement- but this. The copper
contrasts the silver bolts, which again contrasts the gold washers allowing for a tight fit. If this was to be
implemented, a much larger gutter would be needed to accommodate for the current hole we see
extending from the page. In practical terms, this would get in the way- especially as it constantly gets
moved from passing to passing. For this reason, this is now ruled out.









Explored binding methods of Chicago-Skrew binding, perfect binding and signiture binding. The
screw could also be achieved with Harley Davidson bolts, yet this could infringe copyright if the book is to be sold (which it hopefully is), as Harley are known for being very particular what their official
logo/merchandise features on. For this reason, I have also not included the official bar and shield within
the publication, nor used official Harley Davidson typefaces. The use of H.D bolts also increases costs
per print run. I considered experimenting with spark plugs, seeing how these could work as a binding
method (see sketch), yet sourcing reasonably priced second hand spark plugs (or other small bike parts)
were very tricky to find.


Perfect binding is the most cost effective way of binding, allowing A4 paper to be used (and purchased)
rather than A3. Over the whole book development process, this design decision could save £72 from
purchasing A4 double sided stock, rather than A3. Signature binding is another commercial option with
more emphasis on quality, still allowing the page to be fully inspected without an excessively large gutter.
To execute signature binding properly, I will need to invest in a nice quality thread which is discreet
enough to go relatively un-noticed, yet still live up to the quality I ideally want to preserve throughout all
design decisions- further relating to the quality of the motorbikes and longevity of the company itself.
Quality has been proven to sell, and quality is proven to be collected- especially within the target
audience I am focusing on.


As I am still indecisive about binding methods, I plan to create two mock-up books with relatively similar layouts- working off the composed grid system. This will take into considerations gutter proportions, alongside the area of paper hidden by screw binding. In my intentions I stated that the pleasure and satisfaction the viewer receives from books is a contributing factor to why they are there- an area I want to maximise, not hinder. With this in mind, perfect binding or signature binding are ways to allow the viewer to turn and inspect the full page with ease- rather than trying to ply open a tight book- that experience negatively impacts the reader, so whats the motivation to carry on?

No comments:

Post a Comment